A more cohesive resequencing of Kelly’s latest LP based on her promise to deliver 80s/90s R&B inspired by Pebbles, Babyface & New Edition under the original theme/title ‘Year Of The Woman’. Includes the only Jam & Lewis track we ended up with from her, her cover of their 80s hit by Force M.D.s ‘Tender Love’ along with Destiny’s Child’s soul-inspired track ‘Nuclear’, The-Dream’s sultry 80s R&B Kelly duet ‘Where Have You Been’ and towards the more modern commencing of the album, her extensively featured tracks with Fantasia and Future. Also includes the unplaced promo single ‘Ice’ featuring Lil’ Wayne.
The album has massively undersold for the high quality of material Kelly has delivered, this is partially down to single choices as ‘Freak’ [the most commercially-based ‘catchy’ track on the album] and ‘You Changed’ [mainly for the Destiny’s Child feature] should have been the lead two pop singles while ‘Talk A Good Game’ and ‘Gone’ should have been serviced to R&B radio. However, the US music buying public still don’t seem to want to take Kelly seriously as an artist and in these situations there is nothing much the artist can do except for continued promotion of the project [with good single choices] and plenty of cross-artist features [which Kelly always delivers right eg. Ludacris, Sean Paul, Fantasia, Future during this era alone] She should also issue a European version of the LP with a couple more electro-based tracks as singles/bonuses like ‘Freak’ from her sessions with Rico Love and the Calvin Harris track(s) she worked on during these sessions.
This album version also groups together common producer/writer sounds/tempos beginning with:
– 1-5 The Kevin Cossom-writing contributed tracks, closing out with the The Runners sampling the Babyface/LA Reid-produced Whispers classic ‘Rock Steady’ on ‘I Remember’ into
– 6 ‘Tender Love’ cover
– 7-8 Two Harmony 80s/90s themed tracks
– 9-12 Pharrell Williams tracks
– 13-15 LOS & The-Dream
– 16-17 Two more Harmony-produced tracks, first the single ‘Gone’ closing the 80s/90s ‘Year Of The Woman’ section into the modern ‘Talk A Good Game’ theme with the Fantasia/Missy collabo ‘Without Me’.
– 18-20 Three futuristic Mike WiLL Made It productions
– 21-22 Two contemporary R&B bangers ‘Ice’ & the electro-tinged Jamie Foxx cover ‘Freak’.
– 23 Closing with the timeless ballad ‘This Is Love’.